Friday, December 03, 2004

"Uh-oh uh-oh uh-oh no no-no"

As said by Beyonce. And very fitting it is too. This week's instalment will be in two parts (the second will probably be written next week, and will therefore become next week's instalment and I will look stupid. Again.) This is because no matter how small the place I live, I manage to run around like a headless chicken creating excitement for myself by fannying about as much as possible and dithering wherever I can. This seems to create a sense of drama and makes me feel like I'm living a normal life. Albeit one without H&M, HMV, H. Samuel, and H out of Steps.

This week has been the same old fannying. Last weekend was our big thanksgiving weekend, and was in Abby's town, Shingo, which is 1 hour west of my town. Only I had to go to the Doctor's in Okayama Saturday morning, so it was the bus to Okayama on Friday night whereby I continued my psychotic hunt for fairy lights and failed because all bar three shops were shut. So I went to Fiona's, she cooked us tea and we put on a video but talked all the way through anyway. I remember informing her at one point that I'd got over the shopping thing, and didn't really need to buy much right now, other than Christmas presents. I did believe this when I said it, but within 12 hours I was in Tower Records buying two (not one, but two!) Kylie DVDs and the new Destiny's Child album. I wouldn't have gone to the shops you understand, but my Doctor's is near the shopping area and I had to go and pick up my plane tickets as well...

So, Fiona and I set off for Niimi, bumping into Jeremy (Christine's boyfriend who has recently moved to the city for work). We read the timetable for trains and decided to get off the next train at Kurashiki so that we could meet RayVon and she travel with us. So we got off the train, and 2 minutes later, RayVon was with us. Hurrah! Jolly hockey sticks, etc... And Hurrah! Jolly hockey sticks etc, there was another train withn 15 minutes. Eerybody onboard! Sorry Fiona, what did you say? We're getting off? OK. Oh, this one doesn't go to Niimi. Well, there be one in a couple of minutes. Let's check. Oh. Oh dear, that can't be right. There'll be one in 75 minutes. What are we going to do for 75 minutes? Oh, hurrah! Jolly hockey sticks etc... the vending machines sell alcohol!

And so started our first Thanksgiving. We were at the hall for an half hour preparing food, then an hour eating it (Leejay, Abby and English miss Amy had been theremost of the day and hordes had joined as we'd gone on, some bringing dishes, like ChoLyn and her excellent Pumpkin pie). After we'd eaten, we had to rush to clear out, as our party was in a community hall which closed at 6. Oops. So we carried on eating and drinking at Abby's and had great fun, but it all got a bit messy. Some evil, cruel person made a video of it and showed us the next day. I am never drinking again. It made my hair look awful.

Well, much of Sunday was spent recovering, cleaning up Abby's flat, and then cursing the highly efficient public transport system (efficient in as much as they don't waste time putting trains on the tracks). And eating. There was so much food left over and well, you can't waste it can you.

Right, I am leaving school now, so I will finish this at some point- maybe Sunday, maybe next week. Who knows? Who cares?

No comments: