Monday, March 14, 2005

Hello God, are you trying to tell me something?

Last week's river-falling-in-while-on-bike incident came as a slight surprise to me, and made me think perhaps someone's telling me not to get too cocky (I'd just emailed an aunt informing her specifically that I could now ride a bike and wave at someone without steering in the wrong direction. Obviously this is now not true- sorry Aunty El!). Now I'm beginning to get what's really going on, although this might start to sound a bit thought disordered and psychotic. Last night while on the phone to me ma, the topic of sleep came up and I said, "yeah, I'm sleeping better than I have done since I arrived here", and as if on cue, I didn't get to sleep until 4am. Whoo. Not. And again today, as I get on my bike thinking I'm fine and biking's not that hard, my foot slips off the pedal and straight into the spokes of the moving front wheel. Ow. Ow. OOOW! I wonder, am I taking things for granted? If so, I figure these must be gentle warnings. If they were harsh warning I'd have broken my arm in the river last week, not slept at all last night and broken my foot this morning. I really don't think it's fair though. I haven't eaten chocolate since 1864 and I certainly am not fornicating (chance would be a fine thing) so I haven't a clue what to do next. Other than stop taking things for granted before my microwave reduces my apartment to a lump of molten plastic and my bike goes kamikaze on the mountain road to Kuse.

Other than these concerns things have been fine. The weekend was a busy one as it was an early celebration of the birthday of AbSlance (a St Patrick's day child, although one that has nothing to do snakes or any other such reptile). Dinner and lots of drinks at the restaurant where we bonded in August and then onto the Red Moon bar in the red light district which was surprisingly nice and had a good, wide range of drinks. We made a show of ourselves (again) by dancing alluringly/ stupidly (depending on where you were watching from) and then drank some more.

Saturday was a busy shopping day for me while the others recovered and our plans to go to the cinema had to be aborted thanks to a huge traffic jam which made me wonder if I was in Japan or at junction 7 of the M25.

Sunday was haircut day when I finally found the elusive/ mythical English speaking hairdresser, who scored instant points by getting excited because I am British and then scored bonus points by giving me the best haircut I've had since I arrived here. And then AbSlance and I made our second cinema trip in Japan to watch the Phantom Of The Opera. I've seen the musical and thought it was great, but I enjoyed the film too. While the musical wins for atmosphere and just sheer force (producing the music live, the stunning effects) the film wins points for having men with not too much make-up on. It also loses points for a large part of the Phantom's hair disappearing and a big strawberry birthmark suddenly extending itself once his mask is cruelly ripped off by that greedy little slattern Christine. I've been dying to use the word slattern for ages.

I think my computer may have recovered from it's sudden hatred of my DVDs and it's desire to kill them all through death-by-scratching. Thanks to my brother's advice it appears that this hatred may actually have been towards sesame seeds lodged in the DVD-drive, but I shall wait and see before I make my final judgment, and if Buffy series 3 disc 2 soon stops working, I shall dash said computer against the rocks. Or maybe buy a new DVD drive. Whichever works out cheaper...

No comments: