Friday, March 25, 2005

Springtime comes to Katsuyama

Or at least I'm told it does. No-one seems sure when though. It's bloody well snowing. Again. The weather's yoyo-ing like Oprah's weight, and next week temperatures will allegedly be between 15 and 18 degrees, as opposed to the 4 degrees it is now. And then it'll snow again. Probably. It would have been nice to have some sunny warm weather as both LeeJay and Amy have visitors from America who arrived yesterday to a snowy Okayama greeting.

This week has been rather busy, with a tuesday-night dinner-and-movie session at LeeJay's (is she trying to seduce me? Not with 'Bring it on'...), then wednesday night at Amy's with LeeJay and Amy's friend Reiko, where I cooked dinner and we then pilfered things and helped throw things out as Amy is leaving in 6 days. On wednesday I bought lots of veg, made a monster curry and Christine came round to help me eat it.

Katsuyama is merging with nearby towns to form a city, so from March 31st we will be living in Maniwa city. The city without a city. So all Katsuyama residents got a commemorative book in the mail (50 years of Katsuyama- don't know what happened before) and a purple rayon cloth. Neither Christine nor I could figure out what to use the cloth for, other than as a funeral shroud on March 31st. Bye bye Katsuyama!

And speaking of goodbyes, today is the last day of this school year in Japan. And all the schools play musical chairs with the teachers. I think 5 of mine are going, but I really don't know for sure. I'll find out in 2 weeks when someone else is sat at their desks. But one thing I do know is that in bars in Japan they put vodka in with gin and tonic, which I why I keep getting nasty hangovers. Must be a mafia thing. Bloody Russians.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - There's no more Katsuyama? Can they just dissolve a town? I was the Katsuyama Koko ALT in 1995-1997. Please tell me what they heck is up with that?

Chris C said...

It's all to do with government funding, and I think it's supposed to make districts more economically efficient. Katsuyama, Kuse, Ochiai, Yubara, Hokubo and Mikamo (and maybe a couple of other places) have merged to become Maniwa shi. None of the locals like it- they don't see the point. Kuse is totally gone. It's not even included in their postal address. At least Katsuyama gets retained in that way- Maniwa shi, Katsuyama 888 etc, but there is officially no more Katsuyama cho. Shinjo opted out of the whole thing to stay an independent village, but everyone thinks they'll be stuffed pretty soon as they won't get the same government funding.
What are you doing now? Where are you from? I'm always interested!