Monday, June 06, 2005

Last persons standing...

This weekend was another big one with one of the must-attend events going on. This time it was a roof-top barbecue in downtown Niimi. Actually this is a lie. Using the term Downtown Niimi implies that there is an Uptown Niimi, and really there's just Niimi itself. It may now rank as one of the biggest cities in Japan through area alone, but it still barely rates on population, facilities or things to do. This changed on Saturday night at 5:30 pm when it all kicked off.

Having traveled to AbSlance's place with LeeJay to meet RayVon and prepare food, we turned up at the barbecue at 6:30 with trays of kebabs and, thanks to LeeJay's careful planning, a bottle of Tanqueray gin and just enough tonic. People kept arriving and it was a great opportunity to meet people I'd only had contact with via email and to make a show of myself yet again. This included beating my personal record for cigarettes smoked in one night, although I'm not quite sure of the actual figure- somewhere between 15 and 25. LeeJay was on form having big arguments about music and then having drunken discussions about other goings on.

AbSlance turned tutor teaching RayVon and I how to poor a glass of beer, and strangely my abilities improved the more I drank. Although I had the valuable excuse when it went wrong that this was the first time I'd ever done it.

Numerous friendly, obscene or bizarre conversations passed and it was about 11pm- and the Police made their first visit to the roof. The first and second visits were solo attendances were we were all told to be quiet, and the third one, around 1:45 am they came with back up- 3 cops to be precise, and some whinging cow and her husband who didn't live in the building, nor any of the surrounding buildings, and who it turned out only complained because she could speak English and hadn't been invited. Silly cow. Did she think we get given a telephone directory of all English speakers in the area when we move in?
This did seem to shut down the party, with many of the remaining partiers heading off, not before managing to divert the Police from the answers they were looking for (such as who organised the party), but AbSlance, RayVon, LeeJay, an Aussie called Andrew, a Kiwi called Matt and I kept on rambling round for hours. I don't really have much idea of what we did, although I know AbSlance set to cleaning up/ looting the remnants of the booty (it's a good job she couldn't lift the keg) while LeeJay traipsed after her finishing what she started. I considered buying more cigarettes (soft packs are very nice), but fortunately I didn't as the number I'd smoked kept me awake most of the night. I'm sooo sensitive you see...

As people started leaving the party flat early on Sunday morning there wasn't much chance to sleep and I ended up being reunited with the gang at 12. And spent the rest of the day eating and falling asleep. I have decided since that this is the only way to pass a Sunday. It was also good because they were watching the terminally boring "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" which I have commented on before, so this time I will hold back my venom.

Today was a nice, boring day at school where I got plenty of bits done and didn't have to worry about teaching because all the English teachers were off at an English teacher's conference. I therefore, am obviously an expensive ornament.

No comments: