Friday, May 12, 2006


Thursday was another busy day with no particular agenda and as if in honour of this my brain turned to jelly. I didn't want proof of this particularly, but when I met Kay and Charlotte (2 friends visiting from England) we went to a cafe for a chat and I found myself unable to read the katakana on the menu- "shumaashi? What the hell's a shmaashi? ... Oh. It says shumooshi. Smoothie" Given that yesterday I had a conversation with the school caretaker lady about blood types and explained that my parents' blood types didn't match and I had to have a total blood change, all in Japanese, my mind boggles as to why last week I couldn't read the menu. Perhaps it was because of delayed shock from the "rape, much" incident.

Anyway, in an attempt to overcome the shock I met Jaco, Junko and some of their Japanese friends at a famous and rather funky yaki-nikku place in Kichijouji before heading off into the night for another walking marathon. The picture holds a clue as to what I wanted to see. yes, you've guessed it, the Russian Embassy... Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Raychaa said...

Are this news? Yes, yes, GW fun is, of course. Saw smuujii on a menu today and thought "Smashy!" to myself. I'm glad of your enthusiasm for Tokyo, as being there has felt thoroughly draining for me, and I barely make it out of the Keio Plaza, Shinjuku and the token drinking and shopping areas. 20 million people? Ha! I only saw a few thousand. The city can't be THAT big, really...