Friday, May 27, 2005

as easy as falling off a log...

I've been waiting for ages to find out what actually is as easy off a log, and I have come to the conclusion that falling off a bike may be the answer. After my not-so-long-ago trip into the river, I thought I had had it for wobbly endings. But no!

Today I cycled down the hill towards the supermarket, letting the steep hill speed me up, and having checked the mirror that shows any traffic coming from around the corner, I continued speeding and made a wide turn thinking "tra-la-lee, cycling is so much fun, loving the feeling of the wind blowing through my straight-permed haaaiaaAARGH!!!". At which point I caught sight of an oncoming car, slammed on the breaks hard, flipped over the handlebars and bounced down the fortunately-quiet road. On my shoulder. And my hip. Ow. And the poor woman in the car jumped out immediately and was almost in tears. Maybe I brought back memories of Evil Knievel coming to his tragic end.

Continuing my efforts to internationalise, like a true British gentleman I apologised profusely before dusting myself off and heading to the supermarket where I cleaned up in the loos, bought my lunch and waited a while before getting the school nurse to dress my wounds.

I have since realised that dramatically toppling off my bike once each term has replaced August-December's falling into ditches. I think next time it may be the paddy field. At least they're soft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I managed to do something similar when I tripped over someone's bike and went flying through the street in Tokyo. The locals thought I was a nut...