Friday, July 15, 2005

Da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da

Today I feel like Madonna at the end of "Borderline". You know, the bit where she's sung all the words, can't be bothered anymore and just goes "da-da-da-da" a couple of times before it ends. I am hoping to fall into a coma on August 1st, to wake up on August 16th and then fall back into it for the August 22nd-28th period. Why? Because I have to sit at school all summer. All my teachers will have 6 days special leave away from school. Not me though. I will have to sit there. Every day. Wooh. And they've also gone back on their promise of giving me 15 days leave next year so now I'm only going to get twelve. So I can't even take a holiday over summer if I want to come home at Christmas for more than three days. Bum.

The good news is I will be teaching at 2 more schools from September (total= 6), and what's even funnier is that one of them will have only 6 students. I think that'll be fun. They'll be the stars of the English class.

Last night we had a fairwell party for Johanna and Abby at Nao chan's, and it was a slightly forlorn do. Abby and Johanna gave goodbye gifts to Papa-san, Nao-chan and Oji-san and vice versa. Nao chan laid on proper Japanese cuisine- maki sushi, sashimi, buta-jaga (pork and potatoes which I didn't eat), salads, eel and a whole lot more. We all had a good time, but they will all miss each other so much. By the end of the night the tears were flowing, although I think they'd have happened with or without the booze. And Johanna and I called each other racist names on the way home in an effort to cheer each other up. Maybe I should try that at the Board of Education...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Los Angeles. As a franco-american journalist living here and having only been to Tokyo twice for 2 days each time, I enjoy your diary of your japanese life. If that makes sense!
Best
Jean-Paul

Lewis said...

I know what you mean about dragging things out to the bitter end - the last few days of school seem pointlessly tacked on. Let me out! I wanna go to the beach!!!