Friday, July 01, 2005

Yesterday morning...

It wasn't even 9am and I'd already got it wrong. My predecessor asked me to email her details of how to get the pension sum/ tax refund all of which is in the General Handbook and rather then type it out, I thought I'd scan it and email it to her. So I'm sat there with the handbook and have connected the school scanner up to the school computer. And I click on what I think is the button to start the software (it's all in Japanese, so I'm guessing). Except it isn't. It's the wrong button and instead I uninstalled the scanner software.

D'oh!

I am going to have to pretend it wasn't there and tell the teachers it's not working and hope they've kept the disc somewhere...

And so goes another typical week- monday night dance, tuesday night conversation class, wednesday night sushi with Kathleen, LeeJay, Christine and Jeremy and thursday night tidying up and Japanese class with Kapo-chan and Chie-chan. All smattered with a healthy dusting of mistakes and summery-sweat. This morning I momentarily sparked a health alert when I told the caretaker lady that the water tasted funny. She said something back to me which I didn't understand, so I nodded anyway (d'oh!- again) and then she and the school principal spent 10 minutes examining the pipework. I'll just have to drink stronger coffee.

Tonight Johanna and I are heading for Tamashima so we can stop at RayVon's and get an early start to Hiroshima tomorrow. It's our last chance to go together. I learnt last night that the Japanese for last chance is "lasuto chansu" (say it fast). I love this language. Sometimes.

No comments: