Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Small town living...

Certain things can only happen when you're a gaijin (foreigner) in a small town.

Yesterday I took some photos to be developed, and I went to the place I usually go to. The lady who runs the shop is really nice. She likes to practice her English and talks to me in English and Japanese and I do the same and we correct each other. Last time she told me her name, which I remember because it sounded very like Tsunami. I told her mine, and she remembered it. Until yesterday where she apologised profusely and had me write my name on the receipt slip. I wrote Cooper in English and also in Japanese characters (クーパー). My photos would be ready at six.

At six o'clock I returned and she greeted me happily, "Kurisu-san!". As has previously happened, I assume she phoned someone to find out my name. Being the only foreign male in the town must make it really easy to clarify who I am in conversation- "you know the foreign guy, the only person in town with gray eyes" (and I think even the second detail is unnecessary).

It's not a problem though. It's not like they're saying bad things about me when they talk. I think. I hope. Well, it wouldn't matter anyway, it's not as if I'd understand, is it? D'oh...

No comments: