Monday, August 14, 2006

Signs...

Does it all really mean something? During my time as a nurse I got used to lots of crazed people telling me that everything meant something or other. For example, "my poo streaked the pan" would be interpreted as, "call the Police! Our Janice is going to have a road crash!" when it clearly just meant that someone needed change of diet and a loo brush.

But today perhaps I am seeing signs. Other than road signs. And not like the time when I was in the spiritualist group and certain members would claim everything to be a sign from the spirit world. I once found a curtain pole in a car park which incidentally did fit my window nicely. A friend declared it to be a sign from spirit. I'd rather they sent a handsome, rich gentleman next time. Or at least deliver to my door instead of leaving signs in car parks.

But yes, today (as opposed to yes-terday) I find myself sitting at a computer flicking through various webpages, one of which I am slightly stuck on. It's a Spice Girls medley on YouTube. Everyone who knows me knows I loved the Spice Girls and generally they wished I didn't. However, today it's a sign that all's not well.

I woke up this morning feeling quite motivated. I had a plan of action and had maybe 5 or 6 jobs I was going to apply for. But first, I had an orientation for a job at 10am. They told us about the work place and conducted a first, informal, interview. Well, my enthusiasm switched off quickly. The place looked great and had some great ideas, but it was rather low-paying. And then they informed me that my visa wasn't valid as my sponsorship is by the JET people and I'd have to go through some long, drawn-out rigmarole to get it changed to work for anyone else. And I don't know that I want to be bothered for what amounts to an approximate seven-pound-fifty-pee an hour wage. Yes, there are lots of other jobs, but this place is highly competitive and I don't think my heart's really in this particular line of work.

Although I earned a decent wage, I left JET because I was underworked. Frankly I have no intention of being overworked and earning a pittance. Despite the fact that I may well be modelling sweat shop products and, in this heat, producing enough sweat for a family of four, I don't consider myself sweatshop labour. That won't keep me in CDs and chocolate.

I have a ticket out of Tokyo on 27th August which is 13 days away. If things keep on like this I may well be on it. Gah! Dammit! Someone get me a drink. No. SOMEONE GET ME SOME CHOCOLATE!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, ...yes, I am a complete stranger!
Ive recently come across your site and its interested me. You can read my ramblings on my blog if you fancy, I warn you though, it could bore you...!! (http://shambolicjigsaw.blogspot.com)
So, you used to be a JET right? Overworked? :( I also worked in Japan as a English teacher, but only part time. I am looking to go back to Japan though and be a teacher fulltime, full commitment... etc (call me insane) so am just curious to know what line of work you are looking for at the moment – teaching? Is there many opportunities out there? (You are in Tokyo now right?) Also, you most companies ask for a degree? Or a TEFL qualification? I’d appreciate your help :)
I wish you tons of luck, I’m sure you don’t want to come back to the UK!! (Although the chocolate is better here...!)