Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I have the POOOOOOWWWEEEEER!

Not in a He-Man way of course, more in a Clark Kent bumbling journalist way, except without the spandex undersuit and inhuman strength. I do have x-ray eyes though. Do you see what I see? Mmm hmm?

Anyway, back to the main plot. Within the body of JETs there is an elected national council called AJET, and each prefecture has it's own offshoot, thus in my prefecture we have Okayama AJET. It is run solely by JETs, it's entirely voluntary and no-one (and I repeat no-one) is in it for the money. And this week the team that have been doing it passed it over to the new team. Which includes me! And what post do I have? I am doing the publications! Yay! Scandal, gossip and salacious lies ahoy! My predecessors did a great job, and I am hoping to continue to do so (although I will have to learn quick and fast how to use various design packages- uh-oh...).

The handover was at Hattoji international villa on top of a mountain on what surely must have been the hottest two days of the year so far, and in order to look dressed-for-success without actually wearing anything special, I had my hair straightened again. Best yet too.

We had a pretty good meeting about what's involved, what problems we might face and what we might do in the future, so I think the 8 new members feel pretty clear about it all. The benefits are that it'll give me something to focus on at school instead of reading and re-reading my emails approximately 80 times a day and tugging at my (quickly thinning) barnet, and also that I get to make things look real purdy.

On Friday I was feeling a little bit home sick, sick for the lights and sights and sounds and buzz of London, so I rented a video, "28 days later". I knew very well it was set in London. And although I worried seeing London on the telly would make me a bit nostalgic and sad, the film did in fact have the opposite effect. Largely because all of London's inhabitants were infected with a virus called rage that made them bite and kill each other. Nice. So the heroes flee up North to Manchester. Ah! My other home! Now I'll really be nostalgic and sad. Oh, hang on, Manchester's burning down. And everyone's dead or infected. Suddenly the mountains are feeling pretty comfortable. But that doesn't mean I'm cancelling my 4-day May trip home. There'll be a new baby to see, a birthday to celebrate and, most pressingly, a Eurovision song contest to watch. I can hardly wait. And you can forget about that Javine bitch winning for England, Iceland is really where it's at this year. That is, Iceland or the mountains of Japan of course.

1 comment:

Lewis said...

Congratulations on getting the AJET job! I've just been made joint editor of the local Fukui JET publication too - obviously all that blogging has paid off.

Have a great time on your trip home - I saw "Love Actually..." recently and it made me miss that beautiful London skyline... Maybe I should rent 28 Days Later next.