Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sayonara 2006: Parts 3- 2,979,242

Yes, it's never ending. Rather like the current *STORM WARNING* rain that we're having. As the rain floods the rivers, claims the roads (via landslide, not deed poll) and washes away bridges and grannies alike, we continue to say goodbye. But not to bridges and grannies. Although if we knew the grannies we surely would. But we don't. At least not as yet. Anyway...

Last week was another busy goodbye week with sad moments a-plenty. Possibly the saddest moment came on Tuesday when the visiting homestay student spent 2 hours moaning about the food and telling me the plots of films I've no interest in at my eikaiwa (English conversation class ) leaving bash. I was rather miffed as there were many people I wanted to talk to and thank, rather than listen to tales of bowling balls in Tom Hanks films. In fact I was so miffed I turned to drink (it's been around 6 weeks since I touched a drop) but soon I was rescued and the night went on to be a success. The people from Eikaiwa gave me a very nice leaving present (cash, dollar, bling) and one member even gave me Japanese Jinbei- a kind of pyjamas that people wear out to festivals, but also wear as pyjamas. Very cool in both meanings of the word. And then Kapo chan, Shoko chan, Hiroko chan and Tomo chan and I headed for a late night karaoke experience. You can never have too much karaoke. NEVER! Thank you eikaiwa people! I'll miss you!

The next day was my last visit to the smallest elementary school in Okayama where the Principal and I had a special lunch together and the kids directed the games that would make up the final English lesson. The other teacher and I won all the games with a rather unfortunate amount of glee. More burn-in-hell points accrued, I think. And in the evening we had a goodbye meal for Bec at JoyFull in Takahashi, where Danielle, Gretchen-Maria (formerly Nickname Pending), Bec and I chowed down on selections from the bizarre summer menu- treacle and soy-bean powder shaved ice dessert anyone? Fortunately it didn't taste as it looked- it looked like dessicated doo-doo but tasted great. I think there have been too many hyphens in this paragraph so we'll start a new one.

On Thursday I spent my last day at elementary school (ever? Who knows what the future holds...) where the teachers who had been at the school for only 3 months were actually sadder to say goodbye to than the ones I've worked with for 2 years. Although in truth my mood couldn't have been bitchier as I was working on minimal sleep and one teacher's attempts at English were grating my last nerve even though he was trying to be nice. Hot damn, he was being bloody irritating!

And then the weekend. The sayonara party that Julia organised that was a sayonara party for everyone except that the more Julia had to drink, the more it became her party. But it was a good do. Pictures will follow to explain the night. But guess what- we went to karaoke again...

No comments: